Wednesday 24 April 2013

[新闻] 你好厉害!

Please, not everything I do is truly 'lihai'
By Nikolai Moed, special to The China Post
April 23, 2013, 12:21 am TWN

About a year and a half ago I had the chance of doing an internship in mainland China. After four years of studying Chinese I felt this was the best way of furthering my language skills. It was a great experience, pushing me to apply for a master's in Taiwan. So far I've been here for almost three months and until now have really enjoyed my stay. 

And while so many things about this place are worth mentioning, the real reason that I'm here is still the language. For as long as I can remember I've enjoyed learning languages. Studying Chinese for me is not only a way to relax, it always gives me a feeling of spending my time in a useful way. Since coming to Taiwan my language skill has already quickly improved, but there has been one small thing bothering me. It's the word “lihai,” meaning amazing. I find the local people to be very friendly, but in a way they may sometimes be a little too friendly. Of course the word is used as a compliment, but every now and then “lihai” is used for me it makes me just a bit uncomfortable.

Sometimes I feel I've done nothing to deserve such a compliment; for example just buying a sweet potato at a stand that sells nothing but sweet potatoes! And it annoys me because of the way it's said, casually as if to brush off the conversation. Of course this is just a small inconvenience of being able to live here. And I even found a way to cope with the word. It is not by banning it from my vocabulary. Instead, I use it myself, as if by participating in the joke I'm no longer the subject. If you can't beat them, join them?

Source

No comments:

Post a Comment